In my last article I explained how to launch a successful Facebook Ads campaign to drive sales for your company.Â Click here to read that article if you havenât read it yet (because this article assumes you understand how Facebook Ads targeting works).
In that article I spoke about targeting your ads, and how important it is to the success of your entire Facebook Ads campaignÂ (remember itâs all about finding a âstarving crowdâ).
This article takes your Facebook Ads targeting to the next level by sharing 15 advanced targeting options you might not haveÂ thought of.
Hereâs the list…
- Combine your Lookalike Audience(s) with Interest Targeting to get more specific with what youâre advertising
- Use a third-party ad management tool (my favourite is Qwaya) to leverage Conjunctive Targeting, which is where you target users that like ALL the Interests youâve selected (note: the default when you select multiple Interests in Facebook’s ad platform or Power Editor is that itÂ shows your ads to people who like any of the Interests youâve selected, not all of them)
- Purchase an email list of potential prospects from a list broker, upload them to Facebook as a Custom Audience and then run ads to them (note: make sure you have the rights to upload them to Facebook to advertise to them)
- Create a RemarketingÂ Audience of people who visit your shopping cart asking them to come back to order (make sure to stop advertising to them when they purchase)
- Create a Remarketing AudienceÂ of people who start the checkout process asking them to finalise their order (make sure to exclude the people from #4, and stop advertising to them when they purchase) – you would probably bid more for this campaign because these prospects started the checkout process rather than just entering products into the Cart, which indicates a higher level of interest and therefore warrants a higher bid
- Create Ad Sequencing to lead a user down the conversion funnel instead of immediately asking people to take action
- Run Local Awareness Ads to generate phone calls from people who are near your retail location
- Use CarouselÂ Ads to deliver 3-5 messages for the same action – if youâre feeling really adventurous, break a single image into 3 parts so the 3 images connect to make a larger canvas
- Create Dynamic Product AdsÂ to advertise products to people who have added them to their shopping cart but not checked out, and another campaignÂ targeting those people who have started the checkout but not purchased (and bid more for these prospects as they have shown greater intent to purchase than people who just added products to the Cart)
- CreateÂ Video Ads (using whichever targeting options you like) and run ads to people who watch at least 30 seconds of the video
- CreateÂ Lead Ads to generate leads from directly within the Facebook platform – usersÂ give you their information directly in Facebook and never have to visit your site (note: because you donât have much space to âsellâ your service you really need to target people who already know you – think Custom Audiences and Remarketing Audiences)
- Use Facebook Partner CategoriesÂ to get additional targeting options from third-party data partners like Experian
- Contact websites with a similar Audience to yours and negotiate to place your remarketing tags on their website so you can advertise to their Audience via Facebook Ads
- Check the Users Flow report in Google Analytics and create a Facebook Remarketing Custom Combination of people who visit the combination of pages on your site that convert the highest (eg people who visit index.html + service.html + contact.html convert higher than people who just visit index.html or service.html)
- Use Audience Insights to identify the characteristics of your Custom Audiences, Remarketing Audiences and Fans and then run Conjunctive Targeting campaigns targeting those characteristics
The number of ways you can target your Facebook Ads are significant, with one of the biggest limitations being how creative your approach isâ¦ itâs one of the reasons I love Facebook Ads so much – because the number of targeting options available is more than nearly any other ad platform in the world.
If you havenât launched a Facebook Ads campaign before then start with the basicsâ¦ but if youâre already using the basics and want to take your Facebook Ads campaign performance to the next level, then definitely try some of the targeting options listed in this article.
Do you have any other advanced targeting options? If so, feel free to post them in the comments section below.
Need help with Facebook Ads?
At Web Profits, weâve been investing heavily in Facebook Ads for ourselves and our clients since 2009 andÂ we’ve pushed the boundaries of Facebook Ads in (nearly) every possible way.
If youâd like us to help you with your Facebook Ads campaign, click here to get in touch. Weâd love to find out if we can help.