I often talk about the importance that a headline plays in the performance of a website, but it can be hard to understand what kind of impact it can really have without seeing it in action.
So in this article I’ll share a case study on how a simple headline change improved conversions by 52.8%.
What we tested?
Wilson HTM is an investment group listed on the ASX. They came to Web Profits to help them promote one of their investment funds.
We launched a Google Adwords campaign and designed them a high-converting landing page to drive traffic to. The landing page was converting well but we wanted to increase the conversion rate further to offset the expensive click costs.
So the CRO (Conversion Rate Optimisation) teamÂ sat down and brainstormed different headlines we could test against the Control, and came up with the following:
- Headline: The Wilson HTM Priority Core Fund
- Sub-headline: Currently returning an annualized return of XX% p.a. since inception
- Reasoning: We assumed that just stating the name of the fund, and showing the annualised rate of return would be enough to drive conversions (which it was).
- Pre-headline: We know how hard it is to find a top performing fund
- Headline: That’s why we’re proud to say our fund has returned an annualised return of XX% p.a. since inception
- Assumption: We wanted to test whether focusing onÂ the challenge investors face when looking for an investment fund would increase conversions. The pre-headline made the statementÂ of how hard it is to find a top performing fund. The headline then resolved the statement by showing the annualised rate of return, using the emotive word ‘proud’ to reflect the effort that went in to achieving this result.
- Call-out: Attention Investors
- Headline: Are you looking for a fund where the managers are founding investors who are driven to consistently outperform the wider market?
- Sub-headline: Our Award Winning Fund has returned an annualised return of XX% p.a. since inception
- Assumption:Â We wanted to test how important it was for investors to know that the fund managers were also invested in the fund, because of the perception that they would care more about the results. We also used a call-out to let investors know that they’ve come to the right place, and that there isÂ something unique here.
Variation 2 (the version where we testedÂ how important it was for investors to know that the fund managers are investors in the fund themselves) outperformed the Control by 52.8% at a 97% confidence rate.
TheÂ headline should talk to the most important feature and/or benefit of your offer. And you really won’t know whatÂ your prospects find most important (and respond to) until you test it. So even if your website or landing page is converting well, don’t just settle with where it’s at. Always try to find a new and better angle that talks toÂ your prospects’ fears and desires.
Can we do the same for you?
If you’d like us to improve the performance of your website, landing page, or online advertising campaign, thenÂ click here to get in touch. We’d love to discuss your projectÂ and see how we can help.